Jason R. Haas
Systems engineer turned software engineer and linux hacker. My focus right now is on big data streams -- especially web and social networks.
Experience - I have a M.S. in electrical engineering and 8 years experience as an engineer. I'm good at working independently, getting things done, and leading other engineers.
Technical Skills -- I'm a Python developer but also do DevOps work and some project management. I'm especially good at using Python and Linux to get things done quickly. I don't prescribe to one doctrine or technology but believe in using the right tool for the job.
Technology Stack - Python, bash, linux, git, ELK (elasticsearch, logstash, kibana), ansible, kafka, scrapy, vagrant, docker, storm, spark, hbase.
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
M.S. & B.S. Electrical Engineering, September 2006
Honors: Presidential Scholarship, Phi Eta Sigma
Software Engineer - IST Research, Nov. 2014 - Present
At IST Research, I have been doing software development and setting up large scale distributed data systems. Most work has been funded by DARPA's MEMEX program. Responsibilities include:
- Drive remote engineering development of data collection and visualization systems.
- Develop Python software focused on data collection, parsing and aggregation. See github.com/istresearch for open source software.
- Deploy and manage software applications and data infrastructure tools using Ansible. Applications are mostly monitored using supervisord, docker, and custom Flask code.
- Perform extraction, transformation, load (ETL) tasks with unstructured and structured data using Python, Storm, and Spark for processing.
- Set up data visualization dashboards using the Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK) stack.
- Work in a distributed engineering environment, interacting with the majority of co-workers through Slack, Google hangouts, and Github.
System Design Engineer - Boeing, March 2009 - October 2014
- Act as primary technical interface to customers on multiple programs.
- Integrate and test complex network based systems – Linux, Solaris 10, Ubuntu, Windows 7.
- Work with JIRA, Accurev, CVS, Jenkins to manage code baseline and integrate into Linux based systems.
- Create and debug Linux Bash shell scripts in order to fix problems or solve new ones.
- Design and deliver electronic systems as lead systems engineer.
- Perform system network security assessments and secure system for connection to external networks.
- Make high level technical decisions and provide programmatic inputs for schedule and budget.
- Contribute to proposal efforts to develop solutions and concepts of operations for customer needs.
- Work on technical white papers for proposed system solutions.
- Develop system engineering solutions to obsolescence issues and perform trade studies.
RF Systems Engineer - Lockheed Martin, September 2006 - March 2009
- Over 2 years experience in integration and test on RF based systems and troubleshooting issues.
- Focused on prosecution of wireless communication signals (FSK, PSK, OOK, CDMA, TDMA).
- Worked closely with the system architect to write test plans to help meet technical requirements.
- Chosen by management to lead a team demonstration on system capabilities.
- Integrated RF demodulation software and worked with subcontractors to resolve software issues.
- Used MATLAB to create my own software to aid in integrated efforts.
- Documented software functionality and use in the system solution.
- Demonstrated technical capabilities of the software to the customer.
Tutor - Buckingham Youth Brigade, 2011 - 2014
- Worked with underprivileged students ranging from middle school to college level.
- Facilitated tutoring sessions and helping the students with various school and work related issues.
Last updated: 12/12/15